Sunday, September 14, 2008

Useful course notes

First, your reading for the next week is Ch. 26 in Serway, capacitance and so forth.

Second, here are some useful notes from an E&M course at MIT that are pretty well done. The mathematical level is roughly on par with what we have been doing, perhaps slightly higher in some places.

Third, I think I already mentioned this, but you might find my ph102 notes useful for separating the physical understanding from the mathematics.

Fourth, another random set of notes. This one is again from MIT (they are good about putting things online), but the mathematical level is somewhat above what we have been doing. If you bought the supplemental text, or have already had Calculus III, these might be worth reading through. Beware, these notes use a different set of units than we do! In the cgs units, Coulomb's constant is set to 1, and it will be missing from many otherwise familiar formulas.

Finally: expect HW4 to show up in the next hour or two. I got distracted yesterday by the brutal beatdown we inflicted on WKU and didn't quite finish it yet ... as a rule I try not to post HW until I have solved all the problems myself.

No comments: